Re: Licensing problems: CDDL and LGPL

  Hello,

Giovanni Mascellani wrote:
> Working on packaging openide-util (in order to use it in freehep) I
> realized that it is distributed under a dual license CDDL and GPL-2
> (_without_ the "or any later version" clause). Freehep is distributed
> under LGPL-2.1 or later.
>
> TTBOMK, these licenses are incompatible: the only way to satisfy these
> conditions is to promote freehep to GPL-2 (without +), as permitted by
> point 3 in LGPL-2.1, and distribute Debian package under GPL-2 only,
> loosing LGPL and "any later version" freedoms.
>
> Do you see any other possible solution? I'll write also upstream to
> point out this problem.

  There is no need for a solution: for dual-licensed stuff, or for "or
later" stuff, you just need that one combination of the licenses makes a
whole which is legally distributable/usable. You don't need to change
any license here. The combination of both packages can only be used
under the conditions of both LGPL 2.1 and GPL 2, which are compatible,
but it does not prevent anyone from picking up some code of freehelp and
use it as LGPL 3 or some code of openide-util and use it as CDDL. This
person will simply not be able to use either with the other if he
chooses to do so.

  So, as a conclusion, no steps to be undertaken.

  Of course, usual IANAL and so on disclaimers apply...

	Vincent

--
Vincent Fourmond, Debian Developer
http://vince-debian.blogspot.com/

If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it
saying "End-of-the-World switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH", the paint
wouldn't even have the time to dry.
 -- Terry Pratchet, Thief of Time

Vincent, not listening to anything for now