Re: Considering removal of kaffe

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 1:23 AM, Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> After having looked at kaffe I have noticed it seems lacks maintenance
> both from the Debian side but also upstream seems rather dead. We got an
> 120 days old "FTBFS" RC bug (#529872) and alternatives exists. So I
> figured perhaps it was time to retire kaffe from the repositories.

+1 on this. It is time kaffe died a silent death. While this
appliaction served us well when we didn't have any free alternatives
for java, with appearance of openjdk the package is no more relevant.
:-)

> I have appended a list of affected uploaders and their binary packages
> (plus four packages, which dd-list failed to look up) if we were to
> remove kaffe.
>
> I will file a bug against cdbs  (and other packages I find), which uses
> kaffe as build-depends{,-indep}, if we proceed with the removal.

1. Velocity is already fixed.
2. Patch for proguard is attached to bug 534029. Sam has promised he
will upload soon.
3. libvecmath1.2-java is unofficial unmaintained implementation of
vecmath api. We already have the official implementation in repository
(source vecmath), so libvecmath1.2-java needs to be removed. I will
file bugs against its rdepends (if any) for migration.

Onkar