Re: Library packages: co-installability, build-depends, transitions

Hi Matthew,

thank you for your ideas but I still see a problem.

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Matthew Johnson<mjj29@debian.org> wrote:
> In the list below when I say "version" I mean "API version" not
> "upstream release version". API version changes when upstream change the
> API and is encoded in the package name.

How do I find out if the API has changed in a new upstream version?

You suggest some different ways to place a unversioned symlink in some
kind of *-dev package. How do you want to make sure that the same API
version is used during compile time and run time? ELF binaries solve
that problem with their static and dynamic linkers - but Java? Do we
need to always install the *-dev package even during run time?

> Combined -dev/-doc packages

I like that most but do not understand how does it work. Does it mean
that we need to alwayl install the *-doc package to fulfill the
runtime dependency?

Cheers,
Torsten