Re: Eclipse 3.4 packaging - help needed

> >From what I gather from earlier e-mails, the issues are:
>
> * Packaging the new third party packages required by eclipse,
> particularly ECF that
> require a Maven2 toolchain for compilation that doesn't run off-line
> in upstream (but
> there are Fedora patches we can use).

Eclipse has quite a few jar dependencies that need to be "OSGIfied"
some (most) times this just needs a small patch for the Manifest.MF
so it should not be such a big deal (but still someone has to do it).
Indeed Fedora has all the needed patches.

> * Testing with the fast changing set of JDK currently available in
> unstable and make
> a pick. I guess this will have to be changed as the JDKs change.

Why not just use OpenJDK? it is free software (from what I can tell)
and works fine at least
for 3.4 and above.

> * (Haven't been mentioned, but I'll throw it in) Getting the existing
> PyDev, C++ Dev and
> SVN plugins also working under 3.4.

Those really shouldn't be that hard. CDT might be the most problematic
because it contains native code besides Java, but the eclipse core
is an order of magnitude bigger PITA than that.

> (I have added these bullets to the above referred wiki page, of
> course, I can be _dead wrong_
> about this stuff, please correct the page or even remove the whole
> thing altogether if you
> think it is going in the wrong direction.)

The biggest problems have to do with e.g., handling native libraries,
the build system,
modularization, proper integration with P2, ...

You could see https://bugs.launchpad.net/eclipse-debian for some tasks
that need to be done. (also https://bugs.launchpad.net/eclipse-ubuntu).

Cheers,
Pantelis