How to contribute properly?

Hello,

I'm using Debian since 2005 (just common user, no big deal) and I'd like to contribute to this great project somehow. I can't translate, because my English is not very fine (I'm located in Slovakia, Europe). I'm Java developer, so I'd like to do something JAVA RELATED if possible. Currently I'm getting myself familiar with packaging and related stuff.

What is the prefered way I should contribute please?

Should I just randomly pick an open bug and try fix it?

Should I try adopt some abandoned packages?

Should I take a look at WNPP and try package something new?

Is there something specific I could start helping with?

Should I coordinate my activities with somebody or should I "play solo"?

etc...

I'm looking forward hearing your tips and ideas :)

Regards
Dominik Smatana