Re: Eclipse & RCP deployment

Harald Krammer schrieb:
> Hello Pantelis,
>
> Pantelis Koukousoulas schrieb:
>> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Harald Krammer <Harald.Krammer@hkr.at> wrote:
> [..]
>>> Hello,
>>> I would like to deploy a customized Eclipse development environment on
>>> Debian Etch/Lenny.
>> Excellent!
>> We have already started an effort to get eclipse into shape for debian
>> and there is
>> a preliminary "monolithic" package. See:
>
>> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-java-maintainers/2008-December/018863.html
>> for the details.

how does this compare to the packages started by Michael?
See http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2008/06/msg00036.html

>> Nathan summers (aka Rockwalrus) seems to also be reviving his efforts
>> so you can see
>> the ubuntu eclipse-team stuff and
>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/eclipse-ubuntu

>        * I have dropped ALL not-absolutely-essential features in favor
> of having things work from the POV of the user so it is almost
> possible to
>           understand how the packaging  works :-)  (hint: focus on the
> pretty big/hairy scripts under debian/scripts)

It may be better to build on top on the existing packaging. It's there for a
reason. I think your approach makes it difficult to update the package in the
distribution. Please make sure that your package does build on platforms like
mips, powerpc and sparc as well.

>        * GCJ dropped, builds/uses openjdk-6 now which means no bizarre
> random segfaults all over the place, undoubtedly a good thing :-)

No, it's bad for all those platforms which don't have a JIT. It's a different
(good) thing to build with OpenJDK, but don't drop the -gcj packages.

>        * The SWT .so files are built from source. The .so files that
> come with the source zip are explicitly deleted before the build

these have to be removed from the source, not deleted at build time.

  Matthias