Re: tomcat: HelloWorld and NoClassDefFoundError

Bart Vandewoestyne schrieb, Am 09.02.2009 18:00:
> Hello list,

Hello Bart,

> The problem is described in the mail below.  I should add that I
> do have the simlink
>
>   /usr/share/tomcat5.5/common/lib/servlet-api.jar
>
> which symlinks to /usr/share/java/servlet-api.jar

This is perfectly allright and the way Debian splits files. The servlet
api got installed via the package "libservlet2.4-java" and the tomcat
installation itself symlinks to the installed servlet api.

So it is not necessary to copy the archive servlet-api.jar to any other
place.

> I also noticed that the problem sometimes 'magically goes
> away'... i wait for 10 to 20 minutes, then restart tomcat,
> refresh the url for the servlet, and it works.  This makes me
> believe that the servlet-api.jar file/link is correct, but that
> it takes a while for tomcat to 'find' it.  However, i have no
> clue what could be causing this.

There is something wrong either in your tomcat configuration or the
deployment of your example application.

Which steps did you do to install and configure tomcat and how did you
deploy the example application?

Finally you should check the tomcat logfiles whether they contain error
messages.

Regards,
Ralph