Re: Anyone working on Java3D Debian packages?

[Petter Reinholdtsen]
> OK.  I might start on build rules in the pkg-java svn repository.

I had a look at the source zip file available from SUN,
<URL:http://download.java.net/media/java3d/builds/release/1.5.2/j3d-1_5_2-src.zip>,
and must say I fail to see why it is provided at all.  The README.txt
file make it clear that it is useless:

  Note that the source files in this directory are not sufficient to
  build the 3D graphics packages. If you want to build the 3D
  packages, you can use CVS to get a complete source tree.  See
  https://j3d-core.dev.java.net/build-instr.html for more information.

I guess we have to make our own "upstream" tarball from CVS. :(

What should the package name be?  libj3d-java or libjava3d-java?  Or
something else completely?  Perhaps libj3d-core-java?

The build instructions state that three CVS trees need to be
extracted, vecmath, j3d-core and j3d-core-utils.  Is this vecmath
library the same that is called libvecmath1.2-java?  I saw some
comments elsewhere claiming libvecmath1.2-java is incompatible with
Java3D.  If this is the case, how should be handle the conflict?

Also, should j3d-core and j3d-core-utils be backed seperately or
together?  Anyone got views on this?

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen