How do you handle overlapping jar-packages?

Hi Java-Experts,

just a quick question: In building JBoss I encounter a lot of jars that do (partially) overlap. I didn't find anything about how to deal with this in the Java or Debian policy. (Hope I am not just missing something!)

To give two representative examples:

client and server application jar:
- one jar contains base classes + server classes
- another jar contains base classes + client classes

connector jars:
- a host of different jars that all contain a few connector base classes and then connector specific (e.g. JDBC-specific) classes.

The rationale is obvious: If you are doing a slim client application you don't want to install many unnecessary server classes. But you'll probably need some common infrastructure classes.

I could simply do a client and a server package now. Or one package for each connector. This however does not fit well into the Debian "jar-sharing" concept as we would like to avoid having to maintain different versions of the same (base) classes across different packages. I think Debian usually assumes that jars are "atomic" installation units that do not overlap.

What do you recommend in this situation?

Florian