Are gcj/gij/java-gcj-compat ok on armel?

Hi!
   I see gcj/gij/java-gcj-compat are now disabled on arm, and that
dependent packages are being asked to exclude them as Build-Deps to
eliminate java library bindings.
   Are they believed to work in the armel port? I was just going
through the package lists finding that they have also been excluded on
armel/armeb in some cases and not in others; for what it's worth, the
"others" have almost all built ok on armel. Am I right in thinking
that these clauses were either added automatically in an early
armel==arm phase, or before gcj worked on armel, and that I should now
ask for the armel exclusions to be reversed?

thanks

Please cc replies as I'm not subscrived to debian-java