Re: Java wrappers and java-common

  Hello,

Michael Koch wrote:
>>> Before we move stuff into Debian java-common it should be completely
>>> working for most cases.

  I've looked at a fair amount of wrapper scripts, and the wrappers.sh
library I propose can be used to provide all their functionalities
easily save one, for bsh, where users can provide an additional
classpath with a -classpath option. (this can be done with wrapper.sh
but via an environment variable, though). There are a few wrapper
scripts (such as ant and others copied from it) which are quite complex,
and I'm not sure that they could benefit from wrappers.sh, but this is
just a couple.

  That means that there would be no problem using this wrappers.sh for
most of the wrapper scripts in the wild. This way, we would win:
  * adaptability: only one package to modify for new jvms (or new
properties)
  * consistence: several possibilities of customization and debugging
shared across all scripts (and that really should help, especially for
bug reports...)
  * and, for us maintainers, it should be painless to write wrapper scripts.

  We would lose only in one point:
  * all packages with a wrapper script would need a versioned Depends on
 java-common. That shouldn't be much trouble, though.

  The wrapper is LGPLed so it should not pose legal problems of any kind.

>>   Do you mind me moving to the SVN of java-common, as I don't think it
>> is a good idea to go on in batik ? It wouldn't be installed if a new
>> version of java-common is necessary, it would only be present in the
>> source tarball. (but I understand if you don't like the idea).
>
> I dont like that idea, but I can understand it. I think that would be
> acceptable as long as the packages depending on java-common have the
> right versioned depends.

  I just committed the code into the java-common SVN[1]. This code *does
not get installed for now*. I'd like people to review and tell what they
think.

[1]: http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/pkg-java/trunk/java-common/wrappers/

  I'll let this thread stew for a while, and when everyone is happy (if
everyone is happy), I'll start thinking about uploading a new version of
java-common.

  Cheers !

	Vincent

--