Re: Using java-gcj-compat-dev as build dependency

Onkar Shinde writes:
 > On Dec 20, 2007 3:23 PM, Arnaud Vandyck <avandyck@gmail.com> wrote:
 > > 2007/12/19, Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde@gmail.com>:

 > > > I am a java developer who is learning debian packaging these days. I
 > > > am trying to fix some FTBFS of java related packages in Ubuntu.
 > > >
 > > > Some recent observations:
 > > > 1. I am not sure about Debian but in Ubuntu Sun JDk packages can not
 > > > be installed non-interactively and this causes buold failures.
 > > > 2. For many packages adding java-gcj-compat-dev to 'Build-Depends' is
 > > > the first and only thing needed for fixing FTBFS.
 > > >
 > > > Is there any policy regarding which compiler to use.
 > >
 > > java-gcj-compat-dev is used to build *free* java package because it
 > > was the free java alternative and was a primary choice in
 > > Debian/Ubuntu (and I think Fedora).
 > >
 > > I suppose OpenJDK will not require user interaction and I suppose
 > > OpenJDK will be the first choice in a near future.
 > >
 > > You can replace the JDK with java-gcj-compat-dev if you are sure the
 > > software can be built and can run with java-gcj-compat-dev. In other
 > > cases, you'll have to leave Sun's JDK.
 >
 > Right. That is my point. It looks like the packagers use Sun JDK as
 > build dependency without trying to build with GCJ.
 > So if there is any written policy or instruction on wiki that clearly
 > states order of preference as gcj - icedtea - Sun JDK, it will solve
 > many problems.

It would help to know if there really is a problem building with gcj.
If there is, and it's a gcj bug, we could look at that.  Otherwise you
might be limited to running on only OpenJDK, which greatly restricts
the systems you can run on.

Andrew.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903