Re: Creating Packages for FOSS Java GIS Applications

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 05:03:06PM -0800, Redefined Horizons wrote:
> After reading through the Debian Java Policy I believe that I need to
> place the main JAR for OpenJUMP in /user/bin/openjump. I also realize
> I need to create separate Debian packages for the Java libraries that
> OpenJUMP stores in /lib, and that the JARs for these packages should
> be stored in /usr/share/java.

First of all, your help will be much appreciated, as the Debian GIS
team is understaffed.

If you are talking about non-jar java libraries, then they shoul
follow the same policy as any other library. But for JARs, as you say,
they must be in /usr/share/java and the executable should be
/usr/bin/openjump.

> [1] Where do I put the plugins? Do they stay in /user/share/java or do
> they go somewhere else? They aren't really libraries, they are like
> mini-exectuables, but they are pacakged in separate JARs.

/usr/share/java should be the right place, IMO, but maybe someone else
can give you a better idea. Alternately, you may wish to put them in a
separate directory, but I'd request someone more knowledgeable to chip in.

> [2] How do I ensure that the required libraries are on the Java
> Classpath that OpenJUMP needs? At this time we just add the /lib
> folder to the classpath in the launch script, but I'm not sure how I
> would accomplish this if the libraries are scattered around in
> different folders in /usr/share/java.

Usually, the libraries can be specified in the executable script. That
is, in /usr/bin/openjump, you can list all the scattered jars, add
that to the classpath, and then call openjump. This is what is done in
the current openjump package.

> I hope these questions don't seem foolish. I've been using Debian for
> a couple years now, but there is still a lot I don't know about Linux.
> I've also never made a Debian package of my own.

This is a wonderful time to start. To see the existing (old) openjump
packaging, please do apt-get source openjump, and see the way some
problems which you asked are handled. Once you get the hang of things
and start having more queries, please ask here and we'll try to help.

All the best!

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah,