Re: Maven in Debian [was: Re: Reg. Apache Excalibur]

On 8/23/07, Paul Cager <paul-debian@home.paulcager.org> wrote:
> On Thu, August 23, 2007 8:44 am, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
[...]
> > Are you sure every dependencies are in main?
>
> I'm pretty sure all of the build / run dependencies are in main. When you
> run mvn it will download numerous Jars to the user's private repository,
> but this isn't a problem for normal users (i.e. non-buildds).

Perfect. As you say, it's not a problem for users, it's a problem if
we use mvn to build packages.

[...]

> > I'm reading "Better builds with Maven"[0] but I did not finished it. I
> > think we could change the maven behaviour when building Debian package
> > (and only when building Debian package, not for our users) by: 1° add
> > a plugin to convert dependencies requiered by a project to debian
> > package (find the missing package and telling it; find the jars in
> > /usr/share/java/...); 2° create a super pom.xml to do something
> > similar.
>
> Yes, that sounds good. I'll try to produce a list of all of the software
> we will need to package for this to happen. Running mvn and seeing what it
> downloads will give us a starting point.

A good starting point, but we'll have to prevent mvn to download also
updates! so I think there are properties to set or plugin to write.

Arnaud Vandyck