Re: Getting Maven Into Main - What Next?

Florian Weimer wrote:
* Paul Cager:

Now that we are making progress with packaging Maven's
Build-Dependencies, I'm beginning to wonder what happens next. I've
noticed from the JavaCC packaging that it seems to be all right to
include a "bootstrap jar" in the upstream source. Is this right? I guess
to be valid:

   * When building the package a new Jar must be built (from source)
     that could replace the bootstrap Jar.

This is a bit tricky.  Theoretically, you are supposed to bootstrap
from an installed version (IOW, a self-depdency).  However, several
packages (Ocaml, for instance) bootstrap from blobs.  In case of
source code generators, it's also common to ship the processed source
files.

If someone would say that if this was allowed with Maven it would make life so much easier as Maven has to many build dependencies. Then Michael Koch's binary package could be used to build all of those dependencies and then a "proper" Maven could be built easily.

--
Trygve