Re: Re: best Depends: line for an app that needs Java 5 but prefers Java 6

Marcus Better wrote:
> This advice is meant for packages in Debian, and only for build-depends.
> You could for instance Build-depend on sun-java5-jdk and Depend on
> something else.

i was under a misapprehension about the JRE/JDK relationship on Debian. i
see now, from looking at packages.debian.org that there's no duplication
between the two, and that there's nothing in the JDK that we'd want (the
situation is different on Windows, for example). so i'm now convinced that
my "Depends: " line should say "sun-java?-jre".

> > The problem is that, although we'll work with Java 5, but
> > automatically disable various features that we could offer if Java 6
> > were available.
>
> At run time or build time?

run time. the application will be better with Java 6, so i'd really like
to Depends: it, but i don't want to shut out people on systems that have
an available sun-java5-jre but no sun-java6-jre.

--
Elliott Hughes, http://www.jessies.org/~enh/