status of tomcat5.5

I've spent hours today stuggling to get JSPWiki running on my etch
machine...

I first tried to use the jspwiki and tomcat5 it depends on, that doesn't
work out of the box.

so i tried using tomcat5.5 and a war file, that fails with this error
Apr 23, 2007 1:38:44 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error filterStart
Apr 23, 2007 1:38:44 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Context [/JSPWiki] startup failed due to previous errors.

when i went ot tomcat's irc for help, i was met with assertions that the
debian packages are broken.

I'm inclined to agree, but maybe i just don't understand what's going
on.

is tomcat5.5 really broken?
if so what is it doing in stable?

Why is there both an /usr/share/tomcat5.5 AND a /var/lib/tomcat5.5
each with a webapps folder in them?

brad