Re: Attempt at packaging StringTemplate

On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 04:26:10PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Would anyone familiar with Java packaging please review my attempt at
> packaging StringTemplate?
>
> $ git clone http://git.enyo.de/fw/debian/stringtemplate.git
>
> I'm not quite sure about the build dependencies, and how to force ant
> to use a particularly Java compiler if multiple ones are installed.

- You dont need to Build-Depend on ant. ant-optional already Depends on
  it.

- You should Build-Depend on antlr when build.properties references it
  and its used.

- The full descrition of the package should read "Homepage: ..." and not

- You should set JAVA_HOME env var to /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj. With that
  set ant uses always java-gcj-compat-dev for building and you have a
  reproducible build setup.

- You should call the binary package either stringtemplate or
  libstringtemplate-java. Not stringtemplate-java. When its a tool it
  doesnt matter if its written in java or any other languages. That is
  only important for libraries.

- You dont need to add "usr/share/doc/stringtemplate-java" to
  debian/stringtemplate-java.dirs. That is automatically created by
  debhelper.

- Your binary package contains the following:

-rwxr-xr-x root/root    127758 2007-04-22 18:02 ./usr/share/java/stringtemplate-3.0.jar

  A jar file should not be executable.

- You compile the Java classes without debug symbols. These debug stuff
  dont hurt. Our policy is to include them to make it easy when you get
  Java stacktraces.

- Your debian/rules contains some commented out cruft which is just not
  needed.

- I would use CDBS for debian/rules. This makes some things implicitely
  and is more easy to maintain. And for Debian Java packages its the
  standard. Java people people will be able to help you more easy.