newbie help on installing java on etch /without/ x11

Hi list  -

have recently started with debian etch (sort of know what I'm doing in bsd, linux is a new adventure).

I want to install jdk (and tomcat) by the simplest means, but DON'T want to install x11 stuff.

the standard etch package for jdk1.5 seems to require x11. Is there a way to install this without installing x? (there may be a generic apt/aptitutde answer, but it doesn't appear so (there is a way to mark a BSD machine as not wanting x)

or do I have to go with the (pre-etch) two step install to do this?

any pointers (including pointers to generic apt no-x11 configuration that I've missed - though I have search for it) very welcome

many thanks

Tim