Re: Maven in Debian [was: Re: Reg. Apache Excalibur]

On Thu, August 23, 2007 8:44 am, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> On 8/22/07, Paul Cager <paul-debian@home.paulcager.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> There is also what I hope will eventually become the official Maven2
>> package:
>>
>>   http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/m/maven2/
>>
>> I believe this is nearly finished (and would appreciate feedback on it).
>
> Great!
>
> $ sudo dpkg -i maven2_2.0.7-1_all.deb
> Selecting previously deselected package maven2.
> dpkg: considering removing maven2-binary in favour of maven2 ...
> dpkg: yes, will remove maven2-binary in favour of maven2.
> (Reading database ... 150189 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking maven2 (from maven2_2.0.7-1_all.deb) ...
> Setting up maven2 (2.0.7-1) ...
> Installing new version of config file /etc/maven2/m2.conf ...
>
>> If you install this package you should get a working Maven2 system - and
>> if it doesn't work I would like to know!
>
> I've been able to build it and create a projet with "archetype:create"
>
> I attach a patch to put the correct bug number to close the maven2
> ITP, add the apache2 license in debiain/copyright and cleanup spaces
> in debian/control.

Thanks - I'll apply these and do a general tidy-up.

> Are you sure every dependencies are in main?

I'm pretty sure all of the build / run dependencies are in main. When you
run mvn it will download numerous Jars to the user's private repository,
but this isn't a problem for normal users (i.e. non-buildds).

> Maybe maven2 should depends on java-gcj-compat-dev.

Thanks, yes. I'll include the standard stanza.

>> This isn't the same thing as being able to use Maven to build other
>> Debian packages, such as excalibur. When Maven runs it downloads a
>> multitude of Jars, which wouldn't be allowed when building a Debian
>> package. All of these Jars need to be packaged in Debian.
>
> I'm reading "Better builds with Maven"[0] but I did not finished it. I
> think we could change the maven behaviour when building Debian package
> (and only when building Debian package, not for our users) by: 1° add
> a plugin to convert dependencies requiered by a project to debian
> package (find the missing package and telling it; find the jars in
> /usr/share/java/...); 2° create a super pom.xml to do something
> similar.

Yes, that sounds good. I'll try to produce a list of all of the software
we will need to package for this to happen. Running mvn and seeing what it
downloads will give us a starting point.