Re: Tomcat5.5 packaging

[Cc'ing debian-java@lists.debian.org for discussions]

On 7/24/07, David Pashley <dpashley@digitalbrain.com> wrote:
I have a couple of questions regarding the tomcat5.5 packaging. I
thought I'd ask here before raising bugs.

The first is why the majority of the config files are not in
/etc/tomcat5.5. I would have expected /usr/share/tomcat5.5/conf to be a
symlink to /etc/tomcat5.5, rather than the current scheme where it is a
symlink to /var/lib/tomcat5.5/conf and then server.xml and web.xml are
symlinks to files in /etc/tomcat5.5. This means that files like
tomcat-users.xml aren't in /etc/tomcat5.5. Also, these files aren't
under conffiles protection, so if a user makes changes to these files,
the next time they upgrade, they will lose these changes.

I don't remember the rational here, I followed the way the original
package was done, but it seems better to symlink the whole conf
directory. The conffile protection seems good. (Maybe the original
conffile must be patched)

If there is no objection, I think it'd be good to correct theses.

The second question is why the native code part isn't built as an
optional package.

I would be happy to work on fixing both of these point if there is no
reason not to change them.

Marcus is working on tomcat, maybe Michael is also working on it. I'm
ok but you have to wait for them to confirm.

Thanks for your help,

PS: You can also send patches to bug reports already against tomcat4|5|5.5.

--
Arnaud Vandyck