Re: Java policy and ABI changes

manfred@mosabuam.com writes:
 > Quoting Andrew Haley <aph@littlepinkcloud.COM>:

 > > In my opinion, Java libraries without stable interfaces shouldn't be
 > > deployed in free OSes.  If they are to be used, you're going to have
 > > to change the jar name, but even that may not work: if you use such a
 > > library Mozilla, some other version of the same package might be used
 > > by some other Java application running in the same process, and unless
 > > it's firewalled by some ClassLoader trickery it'll break.  If that
 > > happens, some trickery like Jar Jar Links may be your only hope.
 >
 > Hm. All this is a bit extreme. Even the Linux kernel changes its API
 > all the time and things are working okay.

This really is grossly unfair to the kernel deveopers, who go to great
lengths to avoid breaking the ABI.  Would that Java package
mantainers were so careful.

Andrew.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903