Re: java dependency substvars and native compilation

On Thu, May 3, 2007 12:14 am, Matthew Johnson wrote:

> It's a tricky one. A debhelper command in debian/rules is exactly where
> it _ought_ to be.

I agree; I'm just not sure how feasible it is to make it sufficiently
robust for all cases.

On the other hand quite a large proportion of Java packages are
near-trivial, and could benefit from your idea. Maybe all you need to do
is rename it as "dh_simplejavadeps" (for example), and let the packager
decide if it is appropriate. Even with cdbs the maintainer would have to
explicitly
specify the use of ${java:Depends}.

Would you want to attempt to derive "Build-Depends" from "Depends"?

> Does dh_shlibs not have similar problems which they've
> fixed?

dh_shlibs is a bit different. E.g. the compiled object contains the name
and version of the *library* it requires.

> No, it matches the whole path to the package (actually uses the internal
> package/class representation, which is convenient for finding them in
> jars)

I'd misunderstood your code. Thanks for the clarification.

> Ideally
> I'd write (not in bash) a real byte-code parser which can find the class
> references properly.

I would recommend "bcel" for this job (assuming you are coding in Java).
It's nice and easy to use.