The type java.lang.Object cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced from required .class files

Can anyone shed any light on this error message, please? Google hasn't
turned up too much of relevance.

compile:
    [javac] Compiling 15 source files to /tmp/buildd/tagsoup-1.0.4/build
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] 1. ERROR in
/tmp/buildd/tagsoup-1.0.4/src/java/org/ccil/cowan/tagsoup/AttributesImpl.java
(at line 1)
    [javac] 	// Our own copy, so we don't depend on possibly buggy
reimplementations
    [javac] 	^
    [javac] The type java.lang.Object cannot be resolved. It is
indirectly referenced from required .class files

This is generated when my mentor tries to rebuild the tagsoup package in
 pbuilder - it compiles fine when I use pbuilder on my own machine. I
assume it is somehow failing to find classes.jar, but I'm not sure why.

The full package is at: http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/tagsoup

I have a copy of the full pbuilder log, if that would be any help (it's
too big to attach to this email).

Extract of "control"
Build-Depends-Indep: java-gcj-compat-dev (>=1.0.65), ant-optional,
libxalan2-java
Build-Depends: ant, debhelper (>= 5), cdbs (>= 0.4.5.3)

Extract of "rules"
JAVA_HOME            := /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj
ANT_HOME             := /usr/share/ant
DEB_JARS             := $(ANT_HOME)/lib/ant-launcher.jar
$(ANT_HOME)/lib/ant-trax.jar xalan2

(By the way, this package dates from before my membership of pkg-java,
hence I am using my original sponsor to upload this new version)

Grateful for any help!
Paul