Compiling java for etch

Hello,

(please cc me on replies as I'm not subscribed to this list).

I am the maintainer for "tex4ht". Upstream has introduced some "java"
source code into the package and I've been struggling (see #386269)
to get it integrated into the package. This is currently the only way
to provide accessibility support for the output from "tex4ht" (which
consists of TeXnical documents on the web).

I looked at the Java FAQ at
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/
and could not quite figure out what packages to install in order to
set up a "current" (as in etch/sid) DFSG-free development environment.

The programs do not seem to need the GUI parts of java.

If my question seems silly or mis-guided please help me anyway :-)
As I've indicated in #386269, I'm completely new to java.

Regards,

Kapil.