Re: Repackaging question

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Marcus Better wrote:

Andrew Haley wrote:
> It's a good idea to remove generated javadoc and jar files and classes.

Very much so.  Unless you build from source, you have no way to know
that the binaries correspond to that source code.  You can't even
guarantee that you're not violating the GPL, which requires you to
provide source code on demand.

That may be a valid argument, but there are more troubling cases. For
instance we ship a lot of packages that build with Maven, but since we
don't have Maven in Debian, we use the included, pre-generated, Ant build
file instead. What should we do about those?

We also ship the auto-tools generated configure file, although that's
somewhat different since we also ship auto-tools if you do want to
rebuild this.

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson