Re: Repackaging question

On 12/12/06, Marcus Better <marcus@better.se> wrote:
Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> It's a good idea to remove generated javadoc and jar files and classes.

Well, let's agree to disagree. :)

;-)

> They can be removed to use less space and be sure not to include code
> that has been build with non free dependencies.

The space argument is rather weak IMHO, and certainly shouldn't warrant
rebuilding a source tarball only for that purpose. (Or do you have a source
for this advice?) And avoiding to install pre-built binaries is easy.

In some cases, the size does matter :-D

But it's not a reason to be rejected, but see
http://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html
+--
! Contents of orig.tar.gz:
!
! If you rebuild the orig.tar.gz (in the few cases this is needed,
! most of the times it is NOT) - be sure to not include .so/.a/other
! compiled files. You should also exclude cvs/ .svn/
! .whatever_your_version_control_system_has directories
! you added.
+--

Also, you don't know if the jar files contains parts that could be not
dfsg compliant (like Andrew said) and we need to keep the repository
legal.

Arnaud Vandyck