Re: Java and Ghostscript

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 03:28:56PM -0500, Tom Marble wrote:

> Carlos do you have a testcase that I could use to try to
> reproduce this problem?
>
> > Then mail to SUN and pray for an answer. This is a closed source Java
> > runtime. We cant fix it ourself. Sorry.
>
> It's certainly possible that this is a bug in Sun's Java... You could
> check the bug database to see if you find a match [1].
>
> As Carlos reported that this is fixed with a new version of
> gs then I suspect the bug has more to do with expected
> services of the Java runtime (provided by gs 8.5) than
> bug within the runtime.
>
> As an FYI anyone that installs the sun-java5-source package
> will have the file "src.zip" which includes the source code
> to Java SE 5.0.  Many people do not realize that the source
> code for Java SE 6 (code named Mustang) is already available on
> the web [2].  Sun welcomes and has taken many contributions
> for fixes for Mustang [3].  In addition Sun has expressed
> the intent to open source Java [4].

Also FYI: It is considered that studying the sources of SUN JDK taints
you for contributing code to the free and open source implementations of
Java runtimes. Maybe SUN sees this different. That's allowed. Different
opinions are okay until a judge defines something different.
So better not install and study/look into this code until SUN JDK is
availbale as free software.

Cheers,
Michael