Re: why does libswt3.1-gtk-java depend on mozill-browser

On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 05:55:54PM +0200, Martin Kuball wrote:
> Am Sunday, 28. May 2006 15:36 schrieb Matthias Klose:
> > Martin Kuball writes:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Why does libswt3.1-gtk-java depend on mozill-browser? Would a
> > > dependency on a generic browser suffice? I can't believe that I
> > > have to install yet another browser just to run swt apps.
> >
> > please read the eclipse changelog, if you cannot believe it.
>
> OK, I did. And I learned that it is for the embedded help view. But I
> too learned that on ubuntu they use firefox. So why can't we? And I
> guess in an ideal world there should be a package with little more
> than the mozilla rendering engine which mozilla, firefox and other
> programs could depend on if the want to display html data.

For clarification and future reference (hopefully not needed):

In Debian libswt3.1-gtk-java depends on mozilla-browser because it is
the only package that provides libgtkmozembed.so. firefox doesn't
provide this library. Nor does any other browser.

In Ubuntu firefox is the default browser and patched to provide
libgtkmozembed.so. That is way this works with firefos in Ubuntu
and not in Debian.

We are looking into other ways to embed a gecko engine in Eclipse
(with xulrunner if possible) but that takes time testing and fixing
issues.

Cheers,
Michael