Re: priorities for java alternatives

Hi,

>>>- ordering of the free runtimes. can we agree on some kind of order?
>>
>> I'd suggest a popcon based ordering. Reevaluate for every
>> release / 6 months, etc. which should let us shuffle things
>> around as necessary.
>
> We can also reevaluate just before the release.
Before popcon (number of downloads), I would suggest number of non-library
packages depending on the VM, i.e. if you install a certain VM, how many
applications will you be able to run with it, without having to install
another VM and play with JAVA_HOME etc...

Speaking of alternatives, it would be nice to have a mean to completely
switch from one Java alternative to another. Currently you need to modify
more than 10 different alternatives in order to switch from e.g. kaffe to
Sun's Java or back.
I don't know how this could be fixed, but this is cumbersome. Wouldn't it
be possible to define only alternatives for java and javac, and everything
else would be slave alternatives of the both, depending if they're meant
to be Runtime or Development commands?

Eric

--
Eric de France, d'Allemagne et de Navarre