Re: Towards Java Libre

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 01:02:03AM +0200, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:

> Tom Marble a écrit :
> > Arnaud:
> >
> > We haven't had an opportunity to meet yet as
> > so many things have happened so quickly.
>
> Hi Tom, welcome on debian-java ;-)
>
> > Let me give you a pointer to some key events taking
> > place today:
> >
> > Java: Hot and Spicy for GNU/Linux
> > http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/tmarble#java_hot_and_spicy_for
>
> Thanks to inform me ;-) It seems no one from Debian think I'm enough
> important to tell it to me ;-)
>
> > More soon!
>
> Great. Many thanks for your work.

Sorry for jumping on the train so late..

I think it was really bad from the people involved to keep most of
active Debian Java maintainers out of business. Keep in mind that the
active Debian Java maintainers are the ones that help people using the
Java software included in Debian running.

I can really understand Arnaud's position of doing less Debian Java work
and have more fun with tennis or whatever. Keeping all in secret was the
worst what could have been done. We are an open project. Even when
companies like SUN are coming they have to follow the rules.

I'm on my side will not do any support for the SUN JDK packages in
non-free. I prefer to support really free software. Not some
questionable licensed non-free stuff I dont want.

The FTP-Masters have the right to decide what licenses are acceptable for
them for any section of Debian. Fine. For me current license is not suitable
for Debian.

Cheers,
Michael