Re: Java best practices

Miguel Filho wrote:
Another question is, how should I call my application without touch
classpath? The Policy says that you cant change classpath, but if I
run without pointing to log4j and other libraries, my program wont
run.

Miguel,

I suspect those talking about "classpath" actually mean the "CLASSPATH" environment variable.

Setting the class path via the -cp and -classpath parameters seems fine to me, but admittedly I am completely agnostic of Debian and "The Policy" which you mentioned.

Also consider runnable .jar files (and include a platform specific (.exe, .sh, etc.) way to execute that, too, so that users of the respective platform will know what they should try to run, even when unfamiliar with Java.

With best regards

Blackwell