Install a Java IDE

I am starting to learn programming Java (and programming in general for that
matter).  I'd like to use my Debian Testing box to work on.  I have read and
know that Eclipse is available but when I installed it the plugin choices
were not intuitive so I uninstalled it and decided to ask "directions".

I have not found a clear document via google.  Can someone either point me to
where I can determine what needs to be loaded and so advise.

I currently have an IDE on a windows box but I hate having to switch back and
forth.

Don