Re: Packaging Maven 2

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 10:48:14AM +0100, Philipp Meier wrote:
[...]
> I'm the maintainer of the jetty package which uses ant as build tool.
> The new beta release of jetty use maven 2 for packaging. I think that
> many projects will switch to maven 2, too, sooner or later.
[...]
Agreed, Maven is definitely shaping up to be the successor to Ant, and
many projects build with it; one handy thing is that Maven has the facility
to automatically generate a corresponding Ant script, so a given project's
switch to Maven won't be as disruptive as it might seem at first blush.
[...]
> I investigated in the current situation. There is an ITP filed on it by
> Trygve Laugstøl (#323050). I talked to Trygve on irc -- he said that
> he's not currently working on it.
[...]
While Trygve is not actively working on it, he has agreed to make himself
available in a consultative role for those of us taking up the task.
[...]
> To my evaluation there are the following challenges when packaging maven2:
[...]
Yes, your assessment of the situation seems on target.  Trygve has identified
most of the obstacles in his initial work, and since he is a Maven developer,
he should be able to steer us in a good direction.
[...]
> Any comments? Anyone who likes to dig into this or does already? Should
> we have a debian-maven2-policy?
[...]
I volunteered recently to help Trygve package this, so I would be interested
in working with you.

Regards,
--
Barry Hawkins