Re: backporting eclipse 3.1.1-8 to Sarge with j2sdk

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 06:57:44AM +0100, Kai-Cheung Leung wrote:
> Eclipse is a really powerful IDE for Java projects and I am thinking about the possibility for backporting it to sarge by recompiling the source under GCC 3.3 and the non-free j2sdk >= 1.4 (blackdown or IBM) and put the Eclipse Sarge backport packages under sarge-backports/contrib (since j2sdk in non-free)
>
> I have looked into debian/control.in and debian/rules.  In debian/control.in, unfortunately GCJ4.0 is in the fixed list under build-depends and I can't see any mechanisms fin debian/rules which I can toggle for debian sarge backport and regenerate the new control files for dependencies for the sarge-backport (which is possible in openoffice.org-2.0.1-2)
>
> Is it still possible to backport Eclipse 3.1.1-8 to sarge-backports?  If so, what could we do to facilitate this backport?

GCJ 3.3 and 3.4 are too buggy to build/run Eclips 3.1.x. I have a
semi-final patch on my hard disk that allows building and running
Eclipse 3.1.x on Sarge with SUN JDK 1.4/1.5. When its done I will
upload it to www.backports.org. To make this happen I need to upload
some other backported packages too. E.g. a newer ant is needed as is
available in Sarge. Another candidate is libtomcat5-java which is not
available in Sarge at all.

Cheers,
Michael