tomcat5.5 xslt processing

Can anyone tell me why we process XML documentation with xsltproc instead of
the way upstream does it, with <style> tasks? The patches for this are

  20_NoDocu_WebappsManager.patch
  21_NoDocu_WebappsHostManager.patch
  22_NoDocu_WebappsDocs.patch

and the changelog only mentions:

  * Build documentation through commandline xslt processing
    + Patch 03_fix_doc_stylesheet.patch to fix stylsheet variable definition
    + Added xsltproc to build-deps and process docs in debian/rules
    + Moved RELEASE-NOTES to webapps/ROOT where it belongs
    + Added tomcat-docs.xml context definition to allow linking and also
      starting tomcat5 without tomcat5-webapps installed (removed linking
      for tomcat-docs from server.xml)
<...>
 -- Wolfgang Baer <WBaer@gmx.de>  Wed, 07 Sep 2005 17:25:44 +0200

The default method seems to work well here. Perhaps this was inherited from
the days when Xalan wasn't in main?

Marcus