Re: Packaging questions

Benjamin Mesing wrote:
> However it requires Java 5.0 and I haven't found any information if
> there is a 5.0 compatible free java compiler available.

I don't think so, but check GCJ upstream. It's not just the compiler, but
also the class library that needs to support some new features, such as
generics.

What Java 5.0 features does it use? Some programs can easily be back-ported
(there are some tools that help this process). Otherwise you have to build
with Sun-JDK and the package will go in contrib.

> Also, how would I specify a dependency on Java 5.0?

For the build-deps you should depend on the specific JDK, i.e.,
sun-java5-jdk. Check http://pkg-java.alioth.debian.org/ for some tips on
Java packaging.

Not sure if we have virtual packages for Java 5.0 runtimes yet. Should we
use "java5.0-runtime"? Until then your package should Depend on
sun-java5-jre and java-common.

> Looking at the sun-j2sdk1.5

That package is obsolete. Use sun-java5-jdk from non-free instead.

Marcus