Re: gcj/java status

Matthias Klose writes:

 >  - arm: debian only port, not yet submitted to upstream; runtime is
 >    currently non-functional, testsuite shows failures for all
 >    interpreter test cases.
 >    #388505: segfaults in gcj-dbtool-4.1, not addressed.
 >
 > Going back to gcj-4.0 for arm could be an alternative, at least
 > simple programs did compile to native code and run sucessfully.

As I understand it, Debian has a private patch for libffi closures.
This is needed to make the interpreter work.  No-one except Debian has
the gcj interpreter working on ARM.

See http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2006-08/msg00123.html

This patch looks to me like unwinder data is missing, and on systems
that use DWARF unwinding this will cause exceptions to fail.  I'm
happy to help anyone who wants to get these test filaures fixed.

But really, this patch should be pushed upstream rather than being
Debian local.

 > The testsuite in 4.0 shows over 100 test failures, in 4.1 over
 > 700.

Mmm, but I suspect that's because more is being tested, not because
it's worse.

Andrew.