Re: JavaMail and JAF

Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 05:33:03PM +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
It certainly doesn't appear on the FSF list of free licences.  It
is,

Hmm, to me it seems that oddly enough FSF considers it free:

$ lynx -dump http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html | grep
-A 5 "(CDDL)" [101]Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL)
 This is a free software license which is not a strong copyleft; it
has some complex restrictions that make it incompatible with the
[102]GNU GPL. It requires that all attribution notices be maintained,
while the GPL only requires certain types of notices. Also, it
terminates in retaliation for certain

That seems to mean that it's Debian-compatible - as far as I can see.
I'm not aware that Debian-free is identical with GNU-free. I've just
re-read the license, and it appears to be OK to me - IANAIPL.

Can it not be built with free tools, perhaps? That's a Debian requirement.

Does it depend on proprietary Sun runtime code? That would be a killer.

I'm sorry - I know and care little about JAF - by "it", I mean "JavaMail".

--
Jack.