Eclipse on ubuntu

Hi,

I just moved my Dev environment from a windows xp box to a ubuntu box (similar h/w configuration). Got everything (eclipse, ant, tomcat, weblogic) to work properly.

However I noticed that Eclipse (version 3.1) took un-usually high amount of memory to load my project. Morever it was extremely slow (particularly when I opened a large java file in its editor). I found it occupying a lot of CPU (I guess for rendering) on the box.

The good thing was that when I ran eclipse using the Sun's JDK (version 1.5.05) instead of the default free jdk shipped with ubuntu, all problems vanished. The memory utilization was down from 150M to 50M and the cpu usage was also normal.

Looks like a bug in the VM to me.

-- guneet