Re: Eclipse and Java 1.5 user report

>>>That was working quite fine with a J2SDK from
>>>Sun (installed via java-package). [...]
>>
>>Is there a debian repository for java 5 ?
>
> Debian doesn't provide it as we cant package and redistribute it
> legally.

No, as far as I know, there is no Debian repository for Sun's Java 5,
for those reasons. But there is a possibility to create your own Debian
packages from binary distributions of Java. (After you accepted the
licence and downloaded one.)

The package can be created by the command-line tool "make-jpkg"
contained in Debian package "java-package" (in contrib). See the package
documentation or man-page for details. The advantage of using
"java-package" is, that it takes care of all Debian related stuff. Like
e.g. correct install locations and integration to the alternatives system.

There are several disadvantages though. Firstly, you're supporting an
non-free Java implementation. (Which I sadly do myself.) Secondly the
binary java disributions from Sun are not available for all
architectures supported by Debian. Thirdly you have to look for updates
manually, rather than using apt. There are surely other disadvantages,
which I overlooked now.

Michael