Re: Can I use the apps running free Java???

Hoi,

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 09:49 +0100, Stephan Michels wrote:
> On 1/26/06, Joost Kraaijeveld <J.Kraaijeveld@askesis.nl> wrote:
> > Is it possible to run the following combination of applications on a
> > Debian AMD64 Etch installation, using nothing but free software (I know
> > it can using Sun's SDK, because that is what I am running now):
> >
> > - Java 1.5
>
> We are planning to package classpath-generics. With Cacao or jamvm you are able
> to run most of the Java 1.5 stuff.
>
> > - Swing client
>
> Not know the status of swing.

We are making good progress. When something is developed against the GNU
Classpath libraries it will likely work, but random swing code will
probably still show some bugs against Free Swing. GNU Classpath Examples
has some nice Free Swing Demos that show what works (is this packaged
for Debian?) There is a Free Swing Test Apps page at:
http://developer.classpath.org/mediation/FreeSwingTestApps
And there will be a presentation on Free Swing by Roman Kennke at the
GNU Classpath & Friends meeting during Fosdem next month:
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/events/fosdem06.html

> > - JBoss 4.03SP1 or higher
>
> Don't know, will be difficult. Jonas, for example, seems to be able to
> run on a a free java stack.

It is mostly a packaging nightmare from what I have seen. And knowing a
couple of small workarounds. I did get JBoss up and running a while ago,
but I haven't looked at it recently:
http://gnu.wildebeest.org/diary/index.php?p=126

Cheers,

Mark