Re: Current status of your swt-gtk package

Hi,

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 16:36 -0400, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> > So basically the information in this article applies?
> > http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7413
>
> No.  That's an old article and was written before gcj's Binary Compatible
> ABI was implemented.

That was the "first generation" of native eclipse. With gcj 4.0 a more
flexible way of mixing-and-matching native ahead-of-time compilation
with interpreted code and classloaders has been added. See for a high
level overview "GCJ - past, present, and future"
http://lwn.net/Articles/130796/

> No changes to Eclipse's class loaders (or those of any other app) are
> necessary.  This way, users can run with another JVM if they want and just
> use the bytecode.  For more informtaion, see Tom Tromey's article in the
> latest Red Hat magazine (sorry, I don't have a URL handy but it was
> reference in Mark Wielaard's latest blog entry which can be seen at
> http://planet.classpath.org).

That is the "Fedora and the J-Word" article:
http://www.redhat.com/magazine/012oct05/features/java/

Cheers,

Mark