Re: Current status of your swt-gtk package

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 04:10:16PM -0400, Joe Smith wrote:

> "Andrew Overholt" <overholt@redhat.com> wrote in message
> [🔎] 20051024013005.GA9474@redhat.com">news:[🔎] 20051024013005.GA9474@redhat.com...
> >* Joe Smith <unknown_kev_cat@hotmail.com> [2005-10-22 14:51]:

> >>Ok. The natively compiled ecj, does this then compile a non-native ecj?
> >>If
> >>so that kind of reminds me of the gcc boostrapping.
> >
> >Yes.  This is the procedure we worked out for bootstrapping Eclipse builds
> >for Fedora.  I've actually found some issues with a natively-compiled ecj
> >being used for the rest of the Eclipse build so we do this:
> >
> >1. build ecj to bytecode using gcj -C
> >2. use the resulting ecj to re-build itself (using upstream's methods)
> >3. use _this_ resulting ecj as the "javac" for the rest of the Eclipse
> >  build procecudure (again using upstream's methods)
>
> So basically the information in this article applies?
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7413

No, this article is over a year old and much things changed in between.

> Have the necessary changes for eclipse submitted upstream? These changes
> are so that eclipse is willing to load the precompiled shared libraries
> rather than the jars it was expecting. (The jars would work, but using them
> defeats the point of native compiliation.)

The native jars need to be specially supported by the runtime. Not
Eclipse. GCJ does. Kaffe has prelimiary support. If SUN or IBM are
interested they can surely find the GCJ mailing lists.

> Also, one comment in the article I linked to notes that requiring changes
> to custom class loaders to support native compilation is not a great idea.
> Is there any way to modify gcj so that programs like eclipse need not have
> their class loaders modified?

Thats outdated and not true anymore. We more or less use pristine
Eclipse sources in Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.

Cheers,
Michael