Re: Eclipse plugins to debian packages?

* Ivan S. Dubrov <WFrag@yandex.ru> [2005-09-21 22:02]:
> >Curiously, what does this accomplish?
> >
> >If you want to make Debian packages for these features, having a nice
> >build environment to do so before you upload to the archive is one
> >thing... but what's hte point of converting upstream stuff to .debs? It
> >adds nothing.
>
> The idea is to control Eclipse plugins same way as you keep your system
> up2dated - using the APT. Currently, updating and installing Eclipse
> plugins for every user on the box is not very convenient.

This is a great idea but depends a lot on the plug-ins themselves.  Many
plug-ins are built in different ways and there is currently no standard way
of distributing source.  Ben Konrath spent time working on this problem and
has a proposed solution on his website:

http://www.bagu.org/eclipse/plugin-source-drops.html

We need to continue this work if we are ever to have a nice, reproduceable
method of building and distributing plug-ins.

Andrew