Re: Bouncy Castle ready

> I tried to test against the current classpath and kaffe CVS however it
> seems you didn't enable the whole testsuite in the build ? The single
> regression test during build fails for me also with a JDK 1.4 with:
>
> <snip>
>
> With free vms I only get the NPE for TSPTest. I couldn't found other tests.

The regression test you ran appears to be for the provider, which we
can't support until we get our own Debian signature key.

Bouncy Castle packages and distributes the standard test suite
in a separate jar called bctest. In the upstream jar you will find it in
the jars directory. The simplest way to observe the failures is to change
to the jars directory and execute:

   java -cp bctest-jdk14-129.jar:bcprov-jdk14-129.jar \
       org.bouncycastle.crypto.test.RegressionTest

Should I create a libbctest-java package with the test cases?

> Some general review comments:
>
> debian/control
> - please depends on sablevm | java1-runtime | java2-runtime so that also the
>   other free runtimes can be used and not just sablevm

Well, I do depend on java2-runtime, just not java1-runtime. I made this
decision because I am only packaging the upstream version for JDK1.4.
Given that classpath seems to cover all JDK versions, it is unclear to
me whether or not I should add java1-runtime. Any explanation would be
helpful.

> - you build-dep on free-java-sdk ... but apparently build it with an JDK in
>   /opt/.... ?

No, I just tried to leave the upstream buildfile as untouched as
possible. I assumed that the /opt/... path would not exist locally, and
the PATH would thus remain unchagned. In order to make things clearer
(and arguably more correct) I am just setting JDK14PATH=/usr/lib/fjsdk.

> debian/rules
> - this is an arch-indep package so you should do the stuff in the arch-indep
>   targets and not in the arch targets

Fixed

> the build1-4 file
> - you (or upstream) uses not direct calls to javadoc, javac and java via
>   the PATH variable, which will be prepended with the JDK-Path given at the
>   top of the build file. Like:
>
>   PATH=$JDK14PATH/bin:$PATH
>   export PATH
>
>   java ....
>
>   This is not a reproducable setup - for example in my case as I don't have
>   anything under /opt my current javac in the path was used. You should use
>   explicit calls to the programs instead:

I was assuming that /opt wasn't present, and that this would be a noop.
As indicated above, I now properly set JDK14PATH.

>   $JDK14PATH/bin/java

Hmm. But I don't want to specify the full path, and I wanted to avoid
modifying upstream code as much as possible. Now taht I am properly
setting JDK14PATH, isn't the existing build file correct?

> orig.tar.gz:
> Please repackage the orig.tar.gz file before an upload to the official
> debian archive. 12 MB is a way to much and it also contains license
> problems.
> e.g. delete the complete prebuilt jars in the jars dir (that 10 MB !)
> and also the files in the zips directory - these are containing sun
> precompiled
> classes which we have no source code for !!

Good idea. I hadn't noticed the size.

> general:
> I personally would like to see a doc package for the javadocs. The
> documentation is 20 MB uncompressed. I think this justifies an own package.

I made this change. Unfortunately, the javadocs now fail to compile for
a reason that I have not yet been able to track down. I just get the
following:

   ERROR: Class or package Castle not found.

Obviously the javadoc parameters are being parsed improperly. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

> If you could enable the complete testsuite during build time I would run
> it against the current classpath and kaffe cvs version so we can really
> report the current problems with free vms.

The information at the top should be sufficient to reproduce the errors.
Should I create a separate package for the test suite?

> Hope this helps,

It certainly does. Thank you for taking the time to look at this.

I've uploaded new debs with your suggested changes to:

   http://debian.frogcircus.org/packages/

Please take a look, and let me know what you think.

Charles

--
Listen shavers
Knock on wood