java-runtime virtual packages

I'm a little lost about the meaning of the java{1,2}-runtime virtual packages.
While I think I vaguely recall the difference between "Java 1" and "Java 2",
it seems to me that a more useful enumeration of the Java runtime versions
would be 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, etc. (meaning: "I need some Java class library
that contains the features matching version 1.x of Sun's JDK") and the same
perhaps for virtual machines.  There is no way to express that now.

Also, none of the free Java packages provide java2-runtime although it seems
that they can run "Java 2" programs (whatever that means) just fine.  Now I
see that some packages provide or depend on "java-runtime", which is not
defined in the policy.

All of that makes the precise expression of dependencies difficult.  Any
solutions?