Re: Status of hsqldb package

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 02:07:23PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> The DebianJavaWiki wonders on the subject of the hsqldb package:
>
> Non-Main-Depends: j2re1.4 (runtime dependency)
> Does not build-dep on any contrib packages - does it need a java2-runtime to run ?
>
> The answer to that is "apparently yes", but perhaps the collective
> wisdom on this list can figure out why that is.
>
> The problem can be reproduced using the attached test program.  Running
> with Sun's JDK gives correctly
>
> $ java -classpath .:/usr/share/java/hsqldb.jar Test
> Column 1 returned 1
>
> (Do rm testdb.* before rerunning the test.)
>
> With Kaffe I get
>
> $ kaffe -classpath .:/usr/share/java/hsqldb.jar Test
> ERROR:
> java.sql.SQLException: The database is already in use by another process: org.hsqldb.NIOLockFile@23eda0de[file =/home/peter/test/testdb.lck, exists=true, locked=false, valid=false, fl =null]:
>    at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcUtil.sqlException (jdbcUtil.java:67)
>    at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcConnection.<init> (jdbcConnection.java:2427)
>    at org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver.getConnection (jdbcDriver.java:188)
>    at org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver.connect (jdbcDriver.java:166)
>    at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection (DriverManager.java:164)
>    at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection (DriverManager.java:188)
>    at Test.main (Test.java:12)

Looks like a problem with the incomplete implementation of NIO File
locking in kaffe.

> With SableVM I get
>
> $ sablevm -c .:/usr/share/java/hsqldb.jar Test
> [...]
> ERROR:
> java.sql.SQLException: General error: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
>    at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcUtil.sqlException (jdbcUtil.java:67)
>    at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcConnection.jdbcConnection (jdbcConnection.java:2427)
>    at org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver.getConnection (jdbcDriver.java:188)
>    at org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver.connect (jdbcDriver.java:166)
>    at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection (DriverManager.java:164)
>    at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection (DriverManager.java:188)
>    at Test.main (Test.java:12)
>    at java.lang.VirtualMachine.invokeMain (VirtualMachine.java)
>    at java.lang.VirtualMachine.main (VirtualMachine.java:108)

Most probably same here.

I dont looked into hsqldb source code to check but can ypu extract a
testcase from it that reproduces the same exception with kaffe ? I guess
its some bug/missing feature with NIO file locking.

Michael