Re: Setup a free java development environment

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 07:59:43PM -0500, Grzegorz B. Prokopski wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-19-03 at 09:36 -0500, Barry Hawkins wrote:
> >
> > Eric Lavarde wrote:
> > [...]
> > | So, is there somewhere a document that explains how to setup a free java
> > | development environment in parallel to a Sun Java environment, limiting
> > | the risk of cross-pollution? Plus some explanations on which free
> > | VM/tools are good/best for what?
> > [...]
> > Eric,
> > ~    Thanks for your interest in free java and its use with Debian.  This
> > is a good question; I don't think we have done this yet.  The
> > free-java-sdk is probably the closest thing, but that is primarily a
> > package that pulls in a collection of free java tools and creates
> > entries via update-alternatives for common java programs.
>
> Not exactly.  Or even "not really".
>
> As you and other noticed the update-alternatives do not do their job
> well in java environment (for reasons I do not intend to discuss).
>
> The free-java-sdk package does provide a script that helps setting your
> alternatives, but free-java-sdk itself does not always use these
> alternatives.
>
> If you look at the Depends: of this package and at the content of
> /usr/lib/fjsdk/bin *scripts* (they are not symlinks!) you'll soon
> find out that the associations are always the following:
>
> jar -> fastjar
> java -> java-sablevm
> javac -> jikes-sablevm
> javadoc -> gjdoc
> javah -> javah-cp (from classpath-tools package)
> javap -> javap-cp (from classpath-tools package)
> serialver -> serialver-cp (from classpath-tools package)
>
> Why's that?  Exactly because of the "alternatives hell" you asked
> about in your previous message on Wednesday.  This is a setup that
> *I* know works, and therefore has high chances of working for you.

You know it works in the circumstances you tested it I know at least
jikes java javah from cp-tools are unsable in some case. Sure, this can
be fixed but at least for jikes I dont see the light at the end of the
tunnel.

The problem is that the user *CAN* change the links with java-alt-setup.
Its some kind of alternatives system, just not the normal one in
/etc/alternatives. This means we will not have a predfined build environment
anymore. I is better to build depend on sablevm, kaffe or whatever directly
for the the debian source packages. For users free-java-sdk is very good and
easy to use.

Michael
--
Java Trap: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html