Re: GCJ Native Proposal

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 14:14 +0100, Michael Koch wrote:

I'm just an end user, but I'd like to share my thoughts on the package
naming.

> > I would like to name the secondary native packages with a -jbi prefix
> > (Java Binary Interface). Some people like the name -bcabi because that
> > is what the GCJ folks tend to refer to it as. BC ABI: Binary Compatible
> > Application Binary Interface. I don't think bcabi is descriptive at all.
>
> -jbi is a bad name as none else on this planet knows the interface under
> this name I would prefer -bcabi (as this is the name its called
> upstream) or -gcj (to make clean where it comes from).

As a user -bcabi is not really descriptive to me. I would hesitate to
install this package as I would need to find out what -bcabi means (I am
aware that it is a GCJ compiled version of the java package, but without
reading this list it would not be obvious). -jbi is similar.

With -gcj I would mentally associate this packages as having something
to do with GCJ and would probally install it for a speed increase.

So from my point of view a -gcj name is probally a good idea.

Thanks for listening

Jamie

--
PGP/MIME or S/MIME signed mail preferred. No HTML mail. No Word attachments.
PGP Key ID 0x42E2C1E5